Monday, May 29, 2017

Books: The Spanish Game By Charles Cumming

(Drivebycuriosity) - Alec is a creep. The Englishman likes to stick his nose into other people`s business (amazon). Now he lives in Spain, having an undefined job, and he dreams of his past as he worked for MI6, the British Security Service. His curiosity brings him into contact with ETA, the Basque terror organization, and causes trouble (this is a spoiler free blog). Alec is the leading character of "The Spanish Game. A  Novel" by the British author Charles Cumming. The book is advertised as a spy novel, but it is untypical for the genre and I consider it more as a mystery and an amateur detective story.

Cumming writes about Madrid, Spanish food and Spanish politics. I don´t like Alec and dislike the author`s arrogant left-wing comments about Spain, it´s economy & politics, but I read the book to its end. Cumming can write and the plot has enough twits to be entertaining. "Spanish Game" is easy reading for those who like mysteries and want to learn something about Spain & Madrid.

PS For illustration I used a photography which I shot during my recent vacation in Madrid (here my reports Madrid I   Madrid II)  

No comments:

Post a Comment