Thursday, May 18, 2017

Contemporary Art: Spring Auctions 2017- A Visit @ Phillips, New York

(Drivebycuriosity) - It´s auction season again. This week the global auction houses have their huge spring auctions in New York City. So my wife and I went to Phillips on 450 Park Avenue (phillips),  the No. 3 of the global auction empires, and visited their pre-auction exhibition.
.


The company has the reputation to be more focused on contemporary works than her bigger competitors and to show more cutting edge art by up-and-coming artists. But they also had some big names. I display here some of my favorites from the exhibition - as usual a very subjective selection. Above this paragraph you can see "Colorfields" by Marlene Dumas.




I also love Roy Lichtenstein´s sculpture "Woman: Sunlight, Moonlight" and the delicate shadow she throws.




I am a fan of Adrian Ghenie as well. The Romanian belongs to the small group of up-and-coming artists (here my report from his show @ Pace Gallery driveby). Above you can see his " Charles Darwin as a Young Man".



Above "Winter Solstice 2012 Dinner Party" by Nicole Eisenman, who also belongs to the rising stars in the art world (here my report about her show @ Anton Kern Gallery  driveby).



There was of course also a product from the very productive Warhol factory: Above the painting "Oberkassel 1".


It seems Jean-Michel Basquiat was similar productive. You can see his paintings almost everywhere. Above one of his "Untitled" works.






Above Jeff Koons`tiny "Seated Ballerina". She`s the little sister of the majestic ballerina whom you could find @ Manhattan`s Rockefeller Center.



They also had some of the German superstars. Above "Abstraktes Bild (811-1)" by Gerhard Richter (the estimated price is in a range of $15,000,000 - 20,000,000) followed by Anselm Kiefer "Merkaba" . I love both artists and I am always happy to see their works.






The powerful abstract by Kazuo Shiraga, named "T52", is an eye cookie as well.



Above Vik Muniz´s "Day of the Gods (Mahana No Atua), After Gauguin"



I am grateful that they allow humble spectators like us to visit and enjoy all the precious displays. And they didn`t mind that I took pictures there to expand my personal collection.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment