Monday, May 14, 2018

Books: Rome Noir Edited By Chiara Stangalino & Maxim Jakubowski

(Drivebycuriosity) - I was visiting Rome. Therefore I bought some books which are set in the eternal city, including "Rome Noir". The anthology -  edited by Chiara Stangalino & Maxim Jakubowski (amazon) - collects 16 original stories, all with a dark touch as the title promises.

I think the book offers an interesting mix of very different ideas & topics, just bound together by the common city and a focus on the dark side. I have 2 favorites: The powerful tale "Eternal Rome" by Antonio Scurati, a blend of history & fantasy which prepared me for my visit of the Colosseum, and the equally strong "Caput Mundi" by Giuseppe Genna, a tale about terrorism, conspiracy and much worse. Both stories alone justify the purchase of this book.

I also enjoyed other stories, including "Roman Holidays" by Enrico Franceschini. A visitor of Rome starts an affair with a married woman there. "Remember Me with kindness" by Maxim Jakubowski follows another Rome visitor who is still obsessed with a woman who had abandoned him, spiced with explicit sexual references.

Other stories may cater different tastes. Anyway the stories are filled with references to Rome`s streets, places & areas and therefore an inspiring read for visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment