Friday, May 4, 2018

Photography: Churches Of Rome - Basilica Papale Santa Maria Maggiore

(
Drivebycuriosity) - Rome is a treasure chamber full of art. Over many centuries the eternal city amassed amazing architecture, paintings & sculptures. The magnificent churches, which are spread all over the city, are part of this treasure. They are the testimony that the city has been the capital of  powerful religious leaders, the popes, for 2000 years.  I plan to visit any church I will pass during my visit of Rome.

Last Saturday we visited the Basilica Papale Santa Maria Maggiore, which is a magnificent building. I indulged into the opulent display of Baroque art and the amassed art work.



The altar and the wall behind are artistic masterpieces.


And I indulged into the spectacular dome




and the magnificent ceiling as well.




The chapels alone are worth a visit.




The side walls are elaborated as well.



Some of the manyfold sculptures are really funny, especially these provoking boys, which may by cherubs (angels).




I also like the windows.



To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment