Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Photography: Churches Of Rome - Basilica Di San Giovanni In Laterano

 

(Drivebycuriosity) - Rome is a treasure chamber full of art. Over many centuries the eternal city amassed amazing architecture, paintings & sculptures. The magnificent churches, which are spread all over the city, are part of this treasure. They are the testimony that the city has been the capital of  powerful religious leaders, the popes, for 2000 years.  I plan to visit any church I will pass during my visit of Rome.



Last Thursday my wife and I visited the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano.The church is in a majestic building and a jewel of art.


Above you can see the amazing altar.


Some detail shots of the altar.





Both aisles are gorgeous

 

I also indulge into the chapels.




Above more images from the chapels.


The huge statues are really impressive.


as are the walls


Above an example from the marvelous paintings.


and some shots from the domes.




To be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment