Friday, November 23, 2018

Art Market: Impressionists & Modern Art - Tidtbits From New York`s Fall Auctions 2018

(Drivebycuriosity) - I love contemporary art. Last week I went to New York´s auction houses to see their galleries for their fall auctions in Post War and Contemporary art. But Sotheby´s & Christie`s had more gems. They also displayed work they had amassed for their auctions of Impressionists & Modern Art (ca. 1870 - Word War II). I spotted there many awesome paintings and I display here my personal favorites, a very subjective selection as usual.


I was most impressed by Ludwig Meidner´s "Apokalyptische Landschaft (Apocalyptic Landscape)", executed between 1912-16, apparently influenced by the outbreak of WWI. The curators @ Phillips call this work "a quintessential Expressionist painting". Rightly so.


I am a fan of René Magritte`s surrealistic worlds. His "Le Principe du Plaisir" (1937), one of two portraits commissioned from the artist by Edward James, an English heir to an American railway fortune, hammered @ Sotheby`s for $26.8 million (artnet). I also enjoyed seeing his "Le pain quotidien" & "Lat statue volante" @ Christie`s.





I am also glad that the always amazing Tamara de Lempicka reached a  new personal record with her oil painting "La Musicienne" (1929), which made $9.1 million @ Christie`s (estimated at $6 million–$8 million.). The auction house had more work by her. Above you can see "Nu féminin"  followed by "Nu masculin"; "Coin dàtelier"; "Etude pour Portrait d`Ira P" & "Nu assis".



                                         Mixing Monet with Manet?


Claude Monet`s "Le bassin aux nymphéas", 1917–19, sold for $31.8 million @ Christie`s. I wonder why? The painting is not my favorite, I prefer other impressionists, which I show below.


I like Éduard Manet`s cute "Portrait De Madame Jule Guillement" (@ Sotheby`s). Btw I suppose art students might mix Monet with Manet.


I would like to walk Gustave Caillebotte`s wonderful "Allée de la Villa de Fleurs á Trouville” (@ Sotheby`s)!


I also prefer Maurice de Vlaminck`s powerful landscapes. Above "La maison lointaine" followed by "Paysage de rivière" & “L´Ìnondation” (Christie`s & Sotheby´s).



I really love Julius Leblanc Stewart`s elegant  paintings "Jeune Femme, Place De La Concorde" &  "Full Speed" (@ Sotheby`s)


and Jean Beraud`s "Le Parc Monceau" too.


Edgar Degas` "Petites filles spartiates provoquant des garçons" are so beautiful (showed @ Christie`s).



And so are Jean-Pierre Cassigneul`s ladies: “Profil devant la mer  followed by “La Vase bleu” & "L´Ecuyère" (all @ Christie´s).






Above some more eye cookies:  Kees van Dongen`s "Jeune femme au petit bouquet" (Christies`s)  followed by Moïse Kisling "Femme, Bras Levés" (Sotheby´s) & "Petit nu assis de dos" (Christies`s).





Above another gem: "Melancholie Interlude" by Francis Criss (Christie`s).


Above some German expressionism: Ernst Ludwig Kirchner`s  "Das Soldatenbad" & "Weiblicher Akt & Blaue Dame im Tiergarten" (Sotheby´s)


At Phillips I spotted Max Ernst`s surreal "Le peuple des oiseaux" (1942).



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment