Monday, February 25, 2019

Culture: Why I Don´t Visit Art Fairs Anymore

(Drivebycuriosity)s - Spring is coming, season for the art fairs. New York awaits Scope New York, the Armory Show,  Volta New York and many more, Los Angeles prepares for Frieze Los Angeles and others. I am a connoisseur of contemporary art but I decided to skip them. These shows are way overpriced (art-collecting). Admission for the Armory show is $32; Volta charges $25; even the "Affordable Art Fair" costs $18. Ridiculous!

In New York I can visit hundreds of galleries for free. The art dealers have frequently changing exhibitions (usually monthly) with often spectacular art works (here my harvest from last year  driveby ). In New York I also can visit the huge global art auction houses Sotheby`s, Christie`s & Phillips for free. Usually I go there twice a year to see their huge galleries for their bi-annually auctions for impressionists, modern & contemporary art which display the status quo of the art market.

I think the high prices are prohibitive. Maybe they want to keep the crowds away - which would jam their halls - and focus on a professional audience - collectors, artists & gallerists.

No comments:

Post a Comment