Saturday, September 7, 2019

Books: The Book Of Evidence By John Banville

 (Drivebycuriosity) - John Banville belongs to my favorite authors recently. I enjoyed his historical semi-biographical novel "Kepler" (here my review  driveby) and the novels "Wolf on a String" & " Christine Falls" (wolf christine), which he wrote under his pen-name Benjamin Black. Therefore I bought "The Book of Evidence", a Booker Prizes finalist, published under his real name (amazon).

To say it frankly, I had problems to digest this book. There is not much of a plot, instead it is a kind of a confession from a murderer, full of random musings about his past. It is a glance into the mind of an obnoxious person. The idea reminds me a bit of Franz Kafka, Patricia Highsmith & Vladimir Nabokov`s "Lolita", but does not come up to them. The book is too unfocused for my taste and the mind of the unpleasant leading character works to sporadical for me. I still like Banville`s analytical style, his choice of words and his descriptions of situations and environments. I am still interested in Banville´s works, but maybe other leading characters work better for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment