Monday, February 17, 2014

Books: The Goldfinch - By Donna Tartt

(Drivebycuriosity) - I love books and I like to read. But I didn`t read many novels in the recent years. Too often I became disappointed. "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt rekindled my interest in novels (amazon).

The name refers to a famous painting by the Dutch artist Carel Fabritius which is the center of the plot (this is a spoiler free blog). The book, written in first person, is the diary of an American man and touches many issues: coming of age, love, friendship, art theft, drug abuse, more or less dysfunctional families, traveling and much more. It is interesting that the story is fictionally told by a male even though the author is a woman - which reminds me a bit of Patricia Highsmith.

The tale absorbed me, even though the plot has more philosophical parts than action. But the rare action scenes are spellbinding, another reminder of Patricia Highsmith. "The Goldfinch" rekindled my interest in paintings, especially by the old Dutch masters, it drew my attention to craftsmanship and made me curious for the places that where described there. The characters, especially of the narrator, are very convincingly fleshed out and kept my empathy over the full length of the book.

I took a lot pleasure from Tartt`s style, her precise descriptions, her word plays and connotations. The self-analytical insertions - by the fictional diary writer - and philosophical excursions comply with the richness of the book.

Well done Donna, soon I will read another book of yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment