Thursday, September 25, 2014

Culture: Street Art - What`s Going On In Lower Manhattan - September 2014 Edition

(Drivebycuriosity) -  Manhattan is not only a global center for finance & media, the island is also a gigantic open air museum for street art. Almost any day some new mural, graffiti or other image pops up, especially in the downtown area. Since my latest street art report from August 2014 (driveby) I found a lot new works on the streets of Soho, East Village and Lower East Side.








I especially enjoyed these 2 humorous and sexy stencils above which I found on a house wall at 3rd Street in the East Village.





There are also some nice new murals in the Lower East Side. Below you can see 2 of the ubiquitous skeletar murals by street artist Bradley Theodore that I found on Ludlow Street and on Kenmare Street. My favorite in this collection is Lucky Cheng`s fancy lady above. According to "New York Magazine" Lucky Cheng is a restaurant "better known for its cross-dressing waitstaff than its cuisine" (nymag). I also enjoy seeing the "rat boy" by Brooklyn`s street artist Tino Razo.










There are more stencils of course. Some defy the American puritanism, others are more on the surrealistic side. And Steve Jobs is not forgotten.






The funny street art below I found in the Tompkins Square Park in the East Village.



Let the pictures speak for themselves.



Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment