Friday, September 4, 2015

Culture: A Visit @ MoMA PS1, New York

(Drivebycuriosity) - Manhattan`s Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) is a world famous institution with a gorgeous collection. The institution has a branch in New York`s borough Queens ( Long Island City, 22-25 Jackson Ave. momaps1), called MoMA PS1. Last week I visited I visited the place, which is in a former school building (PS stands for public school).

I was lucky and could see the installation "The Flat Side of the Knife" by Samara Golden ()thecreatorsprojec. Unfortunately the exhibition ended on August 30th. There were stairways, sofas, beds, tables, lamps, fans and instruments made of reflective foam above a mirrored floor. The mirror effect optically expanded the room and created the illusion that the installation expands  into the depth.  This effect reminded me of the surrealist drawings by Escher. "Samara Golden's mirrored bedroom installation puts you in the 6th Dimension", wrote one commentator (thecreators).





Installations aren`t easy to photograph, this one was especially challenging. I show here some pictures which should give an impression of the show.

The rest of the collections - drawings, a puppet collection & videos - didn`t work for me. But the museum has frequently changing exhibtitions. Someday I might come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment