Sunday, February 7, 2016

Contemporary Art: Tidbits From Lower East Side Galleries, New York

(Drivebycuriosity) - New York´s Lower East side, my neighborhood, has about 130 art galleries which I visit frequently. Not every exhibiton and art work hits my taste buds, but sometimes I see things which I find interesting. Here I display some tidbits from my latest walk, as usual a very subjective selection.


The gallery Tracy Williams (55 Hester Street tracywilliams) has a group show called "Sublimal Shifts" (through March 6, 2016). On top of this post you can see "Venation" by Olav Christopher Jenssen  (2004, Acrylic on canvas, 72 1/2 x 76 1/2 inches) and above this paragraph follow "Untitled" by Martin Basher (2015, Oil on canvas, 55 x 44 inches) & "Nite Vibe" by Ellen Berkenblit (2015, Oil, charcoal and mono print on linen, 86 x 76 inches).






I also like some paintings I spotted @ Garis & Hahn (263 Bowery garisandhahn). They show abstracts by Michael Maxwell (through February 25, 2016). Above you can see "Phosphenes - Chauvet" (2010, clay, newspaper, crushed quartz crystal, silver leaf, natural pigments,
oil and acrylic on archival pigment print mounted on canvas panel, 88 x 159 inches) & "Phosphenes - Untitled #2" (2011, clay, silver leaf,natural pigments, crushed quartz crystal, oil on archival pigment prints mounted on canvas panels, 86 x 104 inches).



Let the pictures speak for themselve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment