Monday, July 25, 2016

Movies: Cafe' Society



(Drivebycuriosity) I am fan of Woody Allen. I try to see every new movie by the master, so I went to watch "Cafe' Society", his newest production.

I had a lot of fun with this philosophical comedy. I think the film belongs to Allen's best works and reflects the insights the director & screen writer has been collecting over the decades.

The movie - set in the 1930s - tells the story of "Bobby", a young man who comes to Hollywood to get there a job with the help of his uncle, who is one of the great deal makers in the movie industry (this is a spoiler free blog).

Allen makes - in a philosophical way - fun of the movie industry & Hollywood's glamour, of Jewish family relations, organized crime and more. Like in many other "Woody Allen flicks" the characters are complicated and trapped in  bitter/sweet romances.

It seems that "Cafe' Societe" is especially written for Jesse Eisenberg who is in almost every scene of the film, giving him the opportunity to show the full spectrum of his talents. The actor convinces as the shy introverted guy, like his Mark Zuckerberg character in "Social Network"  as well as an eloquent & pushy guy. 

Steve CarrelKristen Stewart & Blake Lively and the rest of the cast were fun to watch as well.

I hope Woody Allen will deliver more such comedies and I am looking forward to them.  

This post was written on my iPhone thanks to ongoing computer problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment