Monday, May 29, 2017

Contemporary Art: New York Studio School - Stars Of The Future?

 

(Drivebycuriosity) - New York is famous for finance & business but the metropolis is also a center of science & art. There are a lot of prestigious universities & other schools. The New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting & Sculpture belongs to them (nyss.org). According to their website the school "is committed to giving a significant education to the aspiring artist that can last a lifetime".








                      Early Mastership


My wife and I had the luck to see their 2017 MFA Thesis exhibition on 8 West 8th Street, New York. The show, which runs through May 31, 2017, is open for the public and highly recommended. Btw. the exhibited art works are for sale. According to the laid-out price lists most of the prices are in the range of $1,000-$5,000.



 

I was really impressed. The School looks like a full fledged art museum. We could see there a nice spectrum of contemporary art. I enjoyed the diversity of styles and ideas and I love many of the exhibited art works.

The young artists show an early mastership. Maybe some of them will belong to the stars of the art scene in a new future. I find it interesting that many artists, including the female, choose erotic subjects. I display here my favorites of the exhibition, a very subjective selection as usual and I apologize to those who didn´t find a place in this post.




 

Above you can see some works by Natasha Wright. I like her style which reminds of the German  expressionists of the early 20th Century and Bay Area Figurative Movement (wikipedia). Her paintings are exhibited on 3 floors. It seems that she got about as much room than the other artists together.


Above a painting by Minku Kim which reminds me of the elegant Bauhaus movement.



 

Above works by Louise R. Kerr.


 

Above works by Bo Jiang.


 

Above  a glance into a room with works by John N. Erianne.




                    Joyful Use Of Colors



 

I also enjoy the paintings by Ainsley Wilkie which look like a view into outer space.


 

This portrait by Isabel Barber looks more traditional in my eyes but I can see the expressionist influences and I like the power- and joyful use of colors.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. excuse me the painting of Satan is not by louise kerr, nor are all the paintings in the photograph of the large room you took .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe it would help to tag the paintings properly then visitors could identify their creators

      Delete