Thursday, July 23, 2015

Contemporary Art: A Tear For Sophie & More @ William Holman Gallery, New York

(Drivebycuriosity) -It is summertime in New York. Everything is a bit slower than normal. But the gallery scene goes on. The William Holman Gallery in Manhattan`s Lower East Side (65 Ludlow Street wholman) has a new group show (through August 26, 2015). I present here my favorites from the exhibition, a very subjective selection as usual.



On top of this post you can see Tom Judd`s "Roadside Attraction #I" (2008, Oil and Collage on Panel). I like the colorful vehicle in a dessert setting which would fit into a Tarantion movie or a very modern Western.

Peter Bonner`s "A Tear for Sophie" (2012, Oil on Canvas) is an orgy of colors which reminds me of the class in acrylic painting I recently took.





I also like John Cunningham`s, "Brooklyn Studio" (2015) & "Fourth Avenue Nocturne" (2010), both oil on canvas). Both impress by their wild expressionist style.



Michael Davis` gruesome "Werewolf" (2015, Charcoal on Paper) delivers a real contrast to the colorful paintings above.






Liene Bosque`s Castello Plan II (2013, Plaster and Vinyl, 20 x 19 x 5 inches) looks like a cute Manhattan.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment