Thursday, October 20, 2022

Contemporary Art: David Mellen @ Ivy Brown Gallery New York


 (Drivebycuriosity) - I frequently visit art galleries, museums and inspect New York`s big auctions houses when they display their huge spring & fall auctions. There I see ubiquitous pieces of abstract art and sometimes it is hard to notice any difference between the paintings. Many abstracts look the same. 

But there are some artists who are unique. One of them is David Mellen. I always can recognize a "Mellen" when I spot it (dsmstudio  1stdibs ). I enjoyed his works at Manhattan`s  BOSI Contemporary, Van Der Plaas & Ivy Brown Gallery.

David displays now three new paintings at Ivy Brown Gallery in Manhattan, parts of a group exhibition ( ivybrown). I believe these new works show his evolution. His newer works seem to me less abstract than the paintings I saw a while ago. I recognize now more flesh and subtle erotic ballets.

On top of this post you can see the wonderful wall filling  “Némésis” (2022, Diptych; two panels each 72 x 36 in (182 x 91.5) cm, Combined 74 x 72 in (188 x 182) cm, Oil on linen).





Above this paragraph follows “Taime” (2022, 48 x 48 in 122 x 122 cm, Oil on linen).

 


Above you can see “Blind” (2022, 48 x 48 in 122 x 122 cm, Oil on linen)

I am curious how David`s work will develop in the future.

 

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment