Sunday, February 1, 2015

Culture: Sumac - A New Star On The Firmament Of Heavy Metal

(Drivebycuriosity) - There is a new star on the firmament of heavy metal: Sumac. The recently founded group consisty of members of well known metal bands: Isis, Russian Circles & Baptists. In the 1960s and 1970s such groups were called supergroups. I remember bands like Cream; Crosby, Still, Nash & Young and Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

I miss the late band Isis very much and own still some CDs by them. They got their - no infamous name - from an ancient Egypt goddess. I am sad that I didn´t have the chance to see them live but I have attented 3 Russian Circles gigs (driveby  driveby  driveby) and always enjoyed their complex intrumental pieces which started slow & atmospheric and exploded then into powerful gravitational waves.

It seems we have now a new supergroup of heavy metal. The tidbits I could find on Internet are promising (soundcloud soundcloud ). It sounds that they combine the best of their mother bands. Their debut album "The Deal" is expected for February 3rd (aaronbturner).

I think someday they will come to New York City, everbody does.

Gotham is looking forward to you, Sumac.

For illustration I used Shiraga Kazuo`s "Chikatsusei Maunkinshi" (Golden Wings Brushing the Clouds Incarnated from Earthly Wide Star) , found @ Institue of Art in Chicago which might represent somewhat the power and roughness of their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment