Friday, January 26, 2024

Books: The Grave Digger´s Bread By Fredéric Dard


 (Drivebycuriosity) - 
Fredéric Dard belonged to the most popular & prolific French authors of the 20th century (theguardian ). I enjoyed his crime mysteries "Bird in a Cage" & ""The Executioner Weeps" ( my reviews here    here). His novel "The Grave Digger´s Bread", another crime noir, is not as strong as the mentioned books, but I enjoyed it anyway ( amazon).

Like "Bird" and "Executioner" the story is told in first person. Again the protagonist meets a woman, this time the wife of a grave digger, which leads to serious consequences (this is still a spoiler free blog). I did not like the opportunistic & pathetic protagonist, but Dard`s style made me to care about him anyway. The plot is macabre - as the title suggest - and comes with the twists, which are typical for Dard´s book I read so far.

I plan to read more by him.


No comments:

Post a Comment