Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Books: Why Frédéric Dard`s Bird In A Cage Is So Much Fun


 (Drivebycuriosity) - A man meets a woman. He walks her home, she invites him in. Soon he is confronted with a surprise, many more will follow (this is a spoiler free blog). "Fredéric Dard`s "Bird in Cage" is crime noir in a class of its own
( amazon).

The plot, set in Paris around Christmas Eve in the 1960s, is told in first person. Dard constructed the plot like an illusionist who leads his audience astray with an meticulous constructed but spectacular trick. Even though the tale is heavily elaborated the plot is still somewhat plausible. I had a lot of fun and I was thrilled. 

"Bird" is a perfect mixture of thrill & romance sprinkled with subtle erotics. When I read the story a second time, knowing and finally understanding the basic trick and other twists, I had even more fun.

I bought this book because I had enjoyed Dard´s "The Executioner Weeps", another gem (my  review ). I plan to read more by Dard.

No comments:

Post a Comment