Saturday, November 7, 2020

Books: Monkey Hunting By Christina Garcia

 


(Drivebycuriosity) - I find it difficult to discover a book which caters my taste. Reviews don´t help much because the reviewers have often very different tastes and they may have read much fewer books in their lives than I have. When I finally like a book I often read more by this author in the hope these books have a similar quality. I enjoyed Christina Garcia`s novel "The Lady Matador`s Hotel" very much. The author invented funny & hilarious scenes but also tragic & violent episodes (my review  ). I also like her novel "King of Cuba (my review ).

This brought my attention to Garcia´s "Monkey Hunting" (amazon ). This book is not as strong as the mentioned novels but acceptable. The plot starts in the year 1857 in Amoy, China, when Chen Pan, a Chinese man, was coaxed to travel to Cuba where he hoped to make a fortune. But things went different for him (this is a spoiler free blog). The story follows him and later his various offspring and jumps to Guantanamo, Shanghai, New York & into the Vietnam war. As in the other Garcia novels the book has surprising, entertaining & dramatic parts, but after 100 pages or so or lost interest in the fate of the Garcia family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment