Friday, November 27, 2020

Economics: In Praise Of My Ebook Reader


(Drivebycuriosity) - Some years ago I moved from Bonn, Germany, to New York City. My library of 1,000 plus books had to stay behind, not enough space in the small Manhattan flat where I am living now. Since then I buy & collect just ebooks which I read on my Amazon Kindle.

Ebooks take no place, an important issue in Manhattan. They are often cheaper than the printed version. When ebooks are published than they usually cost about the same like the paperback version, cheaper than a hardcover (prices are set by the publisher). I notice that prices for ebooks on my Amazon wish list often get reduced after a while, then they are even cheaper than paperbacks. And there are myriads of self published books, novellas & short stories which cost less than $3, often just 99 cents.

Ebooks have just the weight of one Kindle - less than many books, very fortunate when I am traveling. Wherever I am with my ebook reader I have access to myriads of books - no trouble of carrying too much weight on a flight. This is also an advantage when I am sitting in a park and I am reading there.

Ebooks don´t need an extra light. When I am reading in the night I don´t trouble my wife too much with a reading light, no need to steal her sleep.

Now I am trying to survive through the Covid-19 crisis. I had to skip my travel plans for the time being and I reduced going out & shopping to avoid infection. Thanks to my Kindle there is no need to take a risk and to go to a bookshop (if they are still open). The ebook reader gives me access to libraries of books which I can instantly download & read, very fortunately when there is not much else to do.  The Kindle became a really good friend in the Covid-19 crisis.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment