Friday, July 8, 2022

Contemporary Art: Haunted Realism @ Gagosian London

 


(Drivebycuriosity) - Gagosian belongs to the global art gallery empires. Their exhibitions compete even with famous museums like New York´s Moma. During my recent visit in London I was happy to see their show "Haunted Realism" (runs through August 22, 2022 gagosian ).

 



 

The group exhibition features the works of more than thirty artists. I display here my favorites, a very subjective selection as usual. 

On top of this post you can see Glenn Brown`s "You Take My Place In This Showdown" (after: ´The Great Mastubator`, 1929 by Salvador Dali)" (1993, oil on canvas) as it hanged there. I find the image irritating so I rotated it anti clockwise above this paragraph, but not the detail shot.

 






Above another detail from this painting. First image as the painting hang there and then rotated.




Above Dali`s original ( wikipedia). I like the original but also Brown`s modern & powerful interpretation of it.

 

 

 


Above follows "I Tried to Tell You, But the Words Got in the Way" (2021, Acrylic on muslin) by Jim Shaw. Strong and mysterious.

 

 


Above Mark Tansey´s "View from Mt. Hermeneut" (1991, oil on canvas). I am always happy when I see one of his surrealist works.

 

  


Above Eva Juskiviewicuz´s “Untitled” (after Jan Adam Kruseman)" (2020, oil on canvas); another interpretation of a classic, followed by the original ( rijksmuseum).





Above another image by Jim Shaw: “The Birth of Melpomene”, (2022, acrylic and oil on muslin with mixed media) & Dan Colen`s "HELP" (2019-2020, oil on canvas).


 

 


 

Above you can see Neil Jenney´s "Modern Africa #3" (2016-2020, oil on canvas, in artist`s painted wood frame") followed by Albert Oehlen`s "Untitled" (2019, charcoal on canvas) & Jenny Saville`s "Trace" (1993,1994, oil on canvas).



 


Last but not least: Tony Oursler´s "59 (FAIRY, CAROL)" (2020, cloth, resin, electronics, steel, acrylic, computer monitor, and miniature flowers).



To be continued 

No comments:

Post a Comment