Saturday, March 11, 2023

Books: Lapvona By Ottessa Moshfegh


 (Drivebycuriosity) - Ottessa Moshfegh belongs to the stars of the contemporary US literature scene. I found her celebrated debut novel "Eileen" interesting (my review ).

But what should I say about "Lapvona", Moshfegh`s newest product ( amazon)? In my already long life I have never read something which was so obnoxious and despicable as  "Lapvona". None of the 1,000 plus books I have read was so gross and abominable. 

The novel is a freak show and reads like something the Brothers Grimm hallucinated after indulging in some really bad mushrooms, but I doubt that these professors would have dove so deep in the mud. Many events and descriptions are beyond bad taste.

The novel is set in a remote village, the name giving "Lapvona", maybe in medieval Eastern Europe. The place belongs to a lord, a mean, ridiculous and preposterous person. The plot follows him and his tributaries, the inhabitants of Lapvona, extremely poor and illiterate people, who suffer unspeakable hardship.

The book is even worse than "The Devil All The Time" by Donald Ray Pollock, another American star novelist (driveby ). I feel sorry for American literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment