Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Art Market: Tidbits From Spring Auctions 2024 @ Phillips New York


  (Drivebycuriosity) - It is the season for the huge spring auctions of the global auction houses in New York City. I already posted about the auction galleries @ Christie`s (here ) and Sotheby`s ( here).  

 


This post is about the galleries @ Phillips, the number 3 of the global auction hosues. The company has the reputation to be more focused on contemporary works than her bigger competitors and to show more cutting edge art by up-and-coming artists. But they also had some big names. I display here some of my favorites from the exhibition - as usual a very subjective selection.

 

This post starts with "Washing Line, Early Morning, May" by Caroline Walker, who belongs to my favorite artists because she displays simple motifs in a cinematic way. I discovered her work @ a show in London in 2019 (my post ).

 


Above another cinematic painting: "It`s Friedrich" by Friedrich Kunath.

 

I also love Julien Nguyen`s "Point Break".

 




 Then follow "After Albers (LA Sunset)" by Dominic Chambers;"A Soft Rein" by Shannon Cartier Lucy & "Cake With Thong" by Danielle Orchard

 




Above follows Dan Collen´s "Mother (Well)". I already blogged about a Dan Collen show at Gagosian ( here). Then you can see "Staten Island Ferry Docking" by Richard Estes.




Salman Toor`s "The Picnic" & Haley Josephs`"May you bloom and grow forever (From a slug in the black forest)"


                          My Place beside her

 



"Untitled (History painting)" by Korakrit Arunanondchai (denim and inkjet print on canvas).

 



 

Sex sells: Issy Wood`s "Study for the Bada Bing"; Eric Fishl`s "Motel" & Jenna Gribbon`s "My Place beside her in bed".

 


 

For those who don´t plan to travel to Hong Kong soon, above Jean-Michel Basquiat`s "Untitled (Portrait of Famous Ballplayer)" from 1981. 

 


 

Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment