Saturday, April 28, 2018

Photography: A Grande Spectacolo @ Circus Maximus Rome

(Drivebycuriosity) -  Being in Rome is a lot of fun. Last weekend the city celebrated Roma Natale, her birthday and the great days of the Roman empire. At the former Circus Maximus (Italian Circus Massimo) they showed gladiator fights, dances and war scenes. The performers were quite impressive. I suppose that many of them gained experience in the film business. The HBO series "Rome" for instance was shot in the nearby Cinecittà studios which may have loaned the costumes 6 weapons.


On Saturday and Sunday my wife and I went to Circus Massimo where we enjoyed the shows. The place is a large oval shaped green area and the remains of an ancient Roman chariot-racing stadium and mass entertainment venue with a capacity of over 150,000 people.

We watched the spectacle from a slope which surrounds the area. The distance reduces the quality of the images but some of them I find interesting anyway.


I love the action scenes with chariots which reminded me of movies like Ben-
Hur or Gladiator.

I also enjoyed the enthusiastic performed fight scenes.


Especially the woman above fought impressively




The show escalated into a big battle between Roman leagions and their enemies, maybe Gauls ore Germans.


To be continued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment