Monday, October 13, 2014

Movies: Gone Girl

(Drivebycuriosity) - Marriage is a gamble, claims Yoko Ono. Maybe this quote from John Lennon`s widow characterizes the movie "Gone Girl" best, maybe not. Basic idea: A man is questioned by the cops because his wife had disappeared. Maybe the film is a thriller, maybe not.

Anyway, I consider "Gone Girl" as a dark comedy. This husband-wife dialogue may give you an impression: Husband: "You fucking cunt!"  Wife: "I'm the cunt you married! The only time you liked yourself was when you were trying to be someone this cunt might like. I'm not a quitter... I'm that cunt." (imdb).

Anyway, I had much fun watching "Gone Girl", in whatever category it may belong (this is a spoiler free blog). I really indulged in this roller coaster of feints & surprises and enjoyed how the movie dealt with various topics like romantics, adultery, deception, obsession and how they made fun of cable TV and the phenomena of mass hysteria. Maybe "Gone Girl" is a critical study about today´s society.

The leading actors, Rosamund Pike & Ben Affleck, as wife & husband, did really a good job. I am not sure which character I disliked more which is part of the fun.

It seems that "Gone Girl" is a blockbuster, the movie is on the top of the US box office chart for the second week. I think this success could boost the career of director David Fincher and we can expect to see more by this great movie maker ("The Social Network", "The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo" , "Zodiac", "Se7en", "Alien3" and more).



No comments:

Post a Comment