Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Art Market: The Virtues Of Rebellion - Surrealism @ Phillips New York


(Drivebycuriosity) - It`s November again. Time for Manhattan`s big fall auctions. At Phillips, one of New York`s large auction houses, I saw the gallery "The Virtues of Rebellion", a  wonderful exhibition "which explores the creative output of women Surrealists from the mid-20th century and the artists working today" (phillips ). I display here my favorites, a very subjective selection as usual.

 



I was glad to see there some works by the gorgeous Dorothea Tanning. I had enjoyed her magical paintings at the Tate Modern in London 2019 (my report ). Above you can see her "The Temptation of St. Anthony" (plus a detail shot) and her "La Truite au bleu (Poached Trout)".

 



I also love Leonor Fini`s "Portrait de María Félix II (Detrás de la puerta)"

 


 

And there is another Fini paiting: "Les damnées".
 

 


 

Kay Sage`s elegant "Secret Voyage of a Spark" also caught my eyes

 


Pure magic: "La dame d'onze heures" by Valentine Hugo.

 


 

Above you can see "Spring Fever Mood" by Renate Druks.

 

 
 


Above follow Emily Mae Smith`s "Oh, Barb"; Leonora Carrington`s "Pastoral" & Emily Mae Smith`s "Gleaner Odalisque".





 

Last but not least: "Untitled" by GaHee Park.

To be continued
 



No comments:

Post a Comment