Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Contemporary Art: Jia Aili `s Götterdämmerung

 

(Drivebycuriosity) - I am not an envious guy. I don´t care about the 1 percent. But recently I saw an amazing art show at Gagosian with paintings by Jia Aili (born 1979), who lives and works in Beijing (gagosian). Then I wanted to be a billionaire and to be able to purchase all these gorgeous paintings and hang them on huge white walls in my own palace. So I could look onto them every day while listening to Richard Wagner´s Götterdämmerung or some super-massive heavy metal. The reality forces me to content myself with taking pictures from the show. I display my favorites here, a very subjective selection as usual.



The exhibition, called "Combustion", included twenty-nine paintings from the past ten years, grouped into four sections to trace the evolution of Jia’s oeuvre. The artist explained in an interview with ArtNet "Combustion in the general sense refers to the violent chemical reaction of luminescence and heat, and this process is also like the trajectory of individual consciousness. For me, it is more about Prometheus’s humanistic sentiment" (artnet).

Gagosian`s press release explains: In Jia`s paintings human figures, multidimensional geometries, and fragments of architecture, land, and machinery are juxtaposed to create what Jia calls “a structured constellation of history,” fusing past and present in kaleidoscopic amalgamations (exhibitions).




 

Above you can see images which belong to a group of paintings called "Stardust Hermit". These paintings are full of mysteries & puzzles, allowing many interpretations. What causes the strange electric sparks & coils - which appear also on other paintings by Aili?  They could reflect some electromagnetic forces which may rule these worlds. It seems the artist is fascinated by energy and her incarnations.


 

Above another dark world ruled by strange forces.


 

These pics are very different, they are all surreal, colorful & very dynamical - a style which reminds me of the German painter Neo Rauch.


 

I have no idea what this wall-fill mural is about - but it fascinates me as well.


 

What´s going on here?



 

More mysterious actions.


 

Above some glances into the cosmic depths.



 

Above the painting "Combustion" which gave the exhibition her name.

I wish some gifted movie director would develop stories around these paintings and transform them into a great science fiction movie. Maybe some day Jia Aili will illustrate some of Liu Cixin stories (The Three Body Problem & The Wandering Earth).




"Combustion" might by the art show of the year.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment