Friday, April 12, 2019

Contemporary Art: It`s Fun To Play God

 

(Drivebycuriosity) - Visiting art galleries is sometimes pure bliss. At Gagosian on 522 West 21st Street, New York,  I spotted a show with  paintings by the Chinese artist Jia Aili which almost took my breath (gagosian). This post is just about my favorite painting there.

According to Gagosian the work is called "Untitled" (2012, oil on canvas, 132 3/4 X 114 1/4 inches/ 337 X 290 centimer). I would call it "It`s Fun to play God". The painting is full of mysteries & puzzles, allowing many interpretations.



 

Above the complete image, taken with my iPhone 7 plus. It seems that the person in this painting has huge power and is orchestrating this world.  It this person a god? Or is this a over-powerful kid of the future playing with extremely advanced technology?



I looks like that the person is listening to some audio, maybe a Richard Wagner opera or very dark Heavy Metal. The headphones seem to put this person - or god - into her own world.



Is this nuclear explosion caused by this person? What causes the strange coils - which appear also on other paintings by Aili? Maybe they reflect some electromagnetic forces which seem to rule this worlds.


 

It looks like these burning figures are just a collateral damage of this game.

I intend to post more about this show. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment