Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Contemporary Art: Stardust Hermit - Jia Aili`s Apocalyptic Visions @ Gagosian New York

(Drivebycuriosity) - Contemporary art is full of wonders. On a recent visit at Gagosian in Manhattan´s Chelsea district I spotted an exhibition with works by the Chinese artist Jia Aili. I am fascinated by the wall-filling & breath taking murals I saw there. I have already reported about one painting, which I call "Its fun to play God" (driveby). I am also amazed by Aili`s huge murals which depict apocalyptic visions.

 

This post is about 2 paintings which are similar in style & mode. The painting above is called “The Memory of North Liucao Island I” (2013-13; Oil on canvas, 94 182 X 196 7/8 inches/240 x 500cm  gagosian). I googled "North Liucao Island" and I got only referred to this painting.

What`s going on there? Are these people stranded on an alien planet? Are they survivors of a catastrophe? Are these bizarre electric sparks &  fires caused by these people?


The painting above is called "Hermit from the Planet" (artnet). Again we can see some people apparently stranded in a harsh alien environment.





 

Above some details from the "Hermit". Again we notice strange electric sparks & lightning strikes. There are also the weird pink coils which I already spotted on "Play God". Both images are full with energy.

According to Sotheby`s both paintings (and the mentioned "Play God") belong to a set of 4 works, called "Stardust Hermit". They were sold together on an auction in Hong Kong for 225,000 HKD (sothebys). I envy the lucky buyer.


To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment