Thursday, June 23, 2022

Traveling: Why I Love London



(Drivebycuriosity) - My wife and I are back from London, where we had stayed 10 nights. The visit confirms my love to London. I have visited the metropolis 5 times since the late 1960. 

 





The British capital is a fascinating mixture. With just a few steps I can walk from a buzzling Manhattan-like area to a cozy quite and almost fairy tale place.

  



 


London has an amazing architecture and I am in awe of all these magnificent buildings.

 

 
 




I was a pure pleasure to walk over all these beautiful streets & places. First we explored parts of the city south of the Thames, walking from out hotel at the Albert Enbankment. Then we stayed at Airbnb in the posh Fitzerovia district, close to Mayfair, Marylebone & Soho.

 

 

 



   



London´s cityscape reflects her history of more than 2000 years. There are Roman walls (constructed around AD 47-50 when Londinium was the capital of the Roman province Britain wikipedia), medieval castles, Renaissance churches and mighty 19th century buildings, sprinkled with cutting-edge skyscrapers.

 




Brexit or not, London shows still a construction boom, I spotted there way more construction sites than in Berlin, which I visited in May, or in New York City, where I live.


 

   


During our stay we enjoyed a heavy metal concert in the magnificent Royal Albert Hall. Concert and impressive architecture worked together and created a stunning experience.





It seems that Covid-19 was forgotten. There were no masks, no social distancing and the pub scene was flourishing as usual.

 




During our visit the Queen celebrated 70 years of her regency and the masses filled streets & places for the Queen´s Jubilee.

The weather was surprisingly cooperative. The taxi which brought us from the city airport to the hotel got showered but then the rain stopped and we got less than 5 minutes drizzle during the whole stay. The first days where chilly, temperatures in the 50s F ( low 10c C) but then warmed up to the low 70s (low 20c C).


    


 


 




Above some more snapshots.

 


Finally, I couldn`t resist, I have to end this post with a postcard view 

 

Stay tuned

 



No comments:

Post a Comment