Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Architecture: London´s Futuristic Towers

 

(Drivebycuriosity) - I am back from London where I stayed 6 weeks. I was fascinated by the architecture there.  I already posted about the Gothic Revival, majestic buildings from the late 19th century (driveby). In this post I focus on the futuristic towers which define London´s city scape.



 

These buildings look like parts of space ships. The first I spotted closed to Tate Modern (Bankside) the other in the City of London, the financial district, close to the Roman Wall.

 

I love these geometric structures which look like art works.


 

Above London`s most famous tower: The Shard, south of the river, which hosts offices, restaurants & hotel rooms


 

Above the Gherkin in the City of London, which was build for the Swiss Re, a global reinsurance company.


 

Above you can see a building nicknamed "The Walkie-Talkie" because of its distinctive shape.


 

More futuristic towers.


 

A view onto the skyline of The City of London.


 

Above images from Canary Wharf, a second financial district, in the east of London, constructed in the 1990.


 

Above new towers in Vauxhall, south of the river.



 

What a wonderful mixture!


 

Brexit or not, there are still plenty of ambitious construction sites.


Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment