Thursday, November 11, 2021

Books: Italian Wine For Dummies


 (Drivebycuriosity) - Amarone della Vapolicella, Soave, Rosso Piceno, Orvieto. Brunello di Montalcino,  Montepulcan dÀbruzzo, Est Est Est.........  Whenever I dine in a fine Italian restaurant I am overwhelmed by the wine list. There are so many strange names. Often the wine menus are structured by regions, sometimes by grape varieties. What`s the difference? How should I choose?

The book "Italian Wine For Dummies" is a help (amazon. ). Over about 300 pages the authors describe the huge variety of Italian wines. They start in the north of the peninsula and work their way south - region by region. They not only tell the name of the almost countless wine specialities and where they grow, they also name producers and recommend restaurants & hotels.

The book, first published in 2001, may not represent cutting edge Italian wine culture, but the kindle version for $9 is a very good entrance into the world of Italian wines. I uploaded the e-book on my iPhone in case I will get clueless in a restaurant again.

No comments:

Post a Comment