Thursday, December 28, 2023

Art Market: Best Of New York`s Gallery Shows 2023


(Drivebycuriosity) - 2023 is another good year in the world of contemporary art. New York City, which has hundreds of art galleries, presented a flood of impressive art shows. It was so much fun to discover different styles and ideas and I was impressed by the variety of concepts, styles and techniques. 

 



Many exhibitions happened of course in the classy galleries of the Chelsea district, but the rapidly gentrifying Lower East Side is a strong contender and more recently I discovered interesting galleries in Chinatown. I display here my favorites from New York´s gallery shows 2023, as usual a very subjective selection.


My favorite is Jia Aili `s surreal triptych "Combustion", spotted at Christie´s, part of their Fall Auction galleries. I wrote a special post about this painting with a lot detail shots (here ).

 




I got spellbound by Raqib Shaw`s Magical Dreamscapes, called "Space Between Dreams", which I enjoyed @ Pace Gallery in Chelsea (you can see more here).

 



I also get mesmerized by the powerful expressionist "Through the Veil" abstracts by Erica Mao @ gallery Rachel Uffner in my Lower East Side neighborhood (my post ).

 



The same with Yuan Fang`s "Stratospheres" @ Half Gallery in the East Village (my post )

 


One more powerful image, this time from the show "Genesis" by J. Carino @ gallery Auxier Kline in Chinatown. I like the flamboyant brush strokes which remind me of German expressionism from the 1920s (my post ). 

 

                         Wild & Explosive




Yes, contemporary art can be wild & explosive. The image above belongs Thomas Dillon`s "Manic Womb Phantasies" @ Gallery Shrine on Broadway south of Canal Street. (You can see more of these here )






Christine Burgon`s psychedelic “Powder and Water" images @ Martos Gallery in Tribeca are fun as well (my post)

 



I am amazed by Ulf Puder`s icy landscapes @ Marc Strauss on Grandstreet, shared by Lower East Side & Chinatown (my post ).


                      Neck of a Female Saint



Above you can see the "Neck of a Female Saint" by
Chloe West. The show was called "Somebody´s Sins" @ Morgan Presents, an exhibition space on Suffolk street on the Lower East Side (my post). Sadly the place is closed for good.


 


A Penny for her thoughts. The painting is called "Dirty Martini" and was part of the show "No added Sugar" by Serpil Mavi Üstün @ gallery "Long Story Short" in Chinatown ( my  post).



Meet "Olivia", painted by Marissa Graziano. She was part of the exhibition "Blush" again @ Chinatown gallery Auxier Kline. (my post).

 


Above follows Heather Drayzen`s "Himeka”, part of the group exhibition “Departure” @ Thierry Goldberg on the Lower East Side (my post ).

 

                       Hot Slow Summer

 




Above this paragraph you can see some images from a show called "Hot Slow Summer, Somewhere in the Suburbs" by Kelly Beerman @ gallery Perrotin on Lower East Side`s popular Orchard Street (my post ).


 


 


Above some images from Rosa Leigh`s show "Herbarium" @ Lyles & King, another Chinatown gallery ( here )

 

And another image from Lyles & King, this time from the group show "Second Live", created by Iranian artist Taha Heydari (my post ).


                      Future Presidents


 



The family above belongs to the show "Future Presidents" by Amy Hill @ Fortnight Institute in the East Village (my post ).

 


Do you want to visit Martha Edelheit`s "Naked City"? I spotted this work @ Eric Firestone Gallery (my post ).

 


Above 2 images from Kyle Dunn`s show, called "Night Pictures", @ PPOW gallery on South Broadway (my post ).

 

I am a fan of Adrian Ghenie. So I had to see his exhibition @ Pace (my post ). This show was not as strong as the shows & images I saw before but I like it anyway. Do these morons throw soup on a Van Gogh to chill the earth climate?

 

 

           Tidbits From Spring & Fall auctions

The galleries for the Spring & Fall auctions @ Sotheby´s, Christie´s & Phillips are the highlights of New York`s art shows. Way too much to display here, just some tidbits.

 

 


 

This paragraph starts with Jeff Koons`"Aphrodite" (mirror-polished stainless steel with transparent color coating Christie`s here) followed by Simone Leigh´s "Las Meninas II" (terracotta, steel, raffia and porcelain) (Sotheby´s here) followed by Jenna Gribbon`s "Set List Focus" (christie´s here) & Caroline Walker´s "Conservation" (Phillips here).

 

                           Flight into Egypt

 



 

There were some really wild and fierce images:  Hernan Bas`"Night Flight or Midnight Migration, or My Merry Way” followed by Emma Webster`s "Flight into Egypt”; Yukhnovich´s "It`s better down, where it`s wetter" (all Sotheby’s here) & "I Have Proof" by Jeanette Mundt (Phillips here )


                          Bizarre & Kinky

 






 

Contemporary art does not care about barriers, limits & taboos. Some images have to be bizarre & kinky of course. After showing so much beauty, here are some maybe less aesthetic images:  

A detail shot from Jessie Makinson`s walls filling "Bad Sleeper" @ Lyles & King ( here) followed by Polish avant-garde: An image from Aleksandra Sidor`s show "Test Drive" @ tiny Gallery Gratin on Avenue B in the East Village ( here); and an image from Vincent Gicquel`s show  "Autopsy" @ Chelsea gallery  SLAG & RX ( here). Plus a "Beauty" from an exhibition named Penny Slinger & Polly Borland: PlayPen" @ Lyles & King of course ( here)



 


Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment