Monday, December 19, 2022

Books: Athena ByJohn Banville


 (Drivebycuriosity) -John Banville belongs to my favorite authors. I enjoyed his novels Snow (my review driveby  ) and Kepler (my review ). I also like the books he wrote under his pen name Benjamin Black: Wolf on a String (my review ) and his Quirke series, a row of crime mysteries set in Ireland in the 1950.

I have problems with his novel "Athena" (amazon). The book is told in first person and the narrator recalls his past, but his memories seem to be blurred and mixed with fiction. There is no real plot, the story appears to me as a farce, like the surreal theater plays by Eugène Ionesco. None of the characters and their relations did make sense to me.

Banvill´s prose is magical and mesmerizing but it doesn`t compensate for the confusing plot. Sorry John, but you can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment