Thursday, December 15, 2022

Photography: Koh Samui - A Hike Along Chaweng Beach


 


(Drivebycuriosity) - My wife and I have moved from Bangkok to Koh Samui, an island in the Gulf of Siam. We are staying at the Bhoput Beach on the North Coast.

 

 



 


On Tuesday we had a taxi ride to Chaweng Beach on the east coast  (400 Bath/$11). I had been there about 30 years ago. Then I stayed in a small resort (Swiss owned I believe). There were just simple cabins without AC. The box had just a bed on a fan on the roof and the wet cell was just seperated by a divider. But the cabins were located in an artificial rain forest. I could not see the neighbor cabins, they were hidden behind bushes, coconut palms and other trees. There was no way, just a jungle path on some plates on the soil.

 




The tourist boom in the recent 30 years changed the character of Chaweng Beach totally - es expected. The almost empty area became a little tourist town. The Swiss resort I once knew disappeared and got replaced by a chic resort. No rain forest. And the beach is flanked by a chain of resorts. Some are fancy

 





 

other are more modest

 

 


 

I love the shrines and the Buddha sculptures I spotted on my way.

Anyway Koh Samui is still a very tropical place with oceanic climate - moderate temperatures (peak of 79F/27C) and lots of rain. The island is covered with a lush vegetation. There are mountains, covered with rain forests, and banana plants & coconut palms are everywhere, blessing the local cuisine. 

 

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment