Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Contemporary Art: The Evolution Of Frank Bowling @ Tate Britain London

 

(Drivebycuriosity) - London´s Tate Britain has an amazing collection of British art, starting in the 16th century. But the museum offers also interesting exhibitions of contemporary art. Last week my wife & I saw their Frank Bowling show. They display the evolution of his art and how his paintings changed over the time: "Frank Bowling’s first major retrospective celebrates an artist who pushes the possibilities of paint. This exhibition offers a chance to experience the entirety of Bowling´s 60-year career. It showcases his sensual use of color and bold experimentation" (tate.org).




 

The show expands over 9 rooms. I can display here just some tidbits, a very small & subjective selection as usual.



 

I like Bowling`s explosive & colorful abstracts.



 

Later in his life the artist experimented with different materials.


 

I also enjoyed the figurative paintings which he created earlier in his career.


 

Above an image which reminds me of Francis Bacon.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment