Thursday, July 25, 2019

Contemporary Art: Hidden Gems @ Tate Modern London

 

(Drivebycuriosity) - London´s Tate Modern is an amazing museum. There are lots of interesting exhibitions. Recently I posted about the fabulous surrealist Dorothea Tanning show ( driveby). But their regular collection is also worth a visit.  I enjoyed the rooms which are dedicated to just one artist, especially the Gerhard Richter, Mark Rothko & Joseph Beuys rooms. But I have posted about them often. In this post I focus on artists whom I did not know and who might be hidden gems.

 

A series of Gadaffi images by the Polish artist Wilhelm Sasnal caught my eyes. They are called "Gaddafi 1", Gaddafi 2" & "Gaddafi 3". I am impressed by the powerful - neo-expressionist style.

 

This Tower of Babylon also belongs to my favorites. Cildo Meireles created "Babel 2001", a tower of radios playing at once.


 

Above Richard Hamilton`s "The citizen 1981-3"- a reference to the IRA terrorism in UK in the 1980s.

 

Above "Morning" by Dod Procter, the Picture of the Year at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition of 1927.


 

Above an image by Ellen Gallagher, who also has a room dedicated to her.



 

Above an airmail painting by Dittborn.


 

Above Gordon Benett`s "Poison Island"


 

Above "Behold Man!" by Frances Stark. She represents herself in deep thought surrounded by images of men, paintings by Sylvia Sleigh and photographs of Henri Matisse with his female models.

 

About Christian Schad`s "Self-Portrait" from 1927. Vanity rules!

 

I have seen Peter Doig`s work before, he belongs to my favorites. But I think he is still underrated. Above his "Ski Jacket" from 1994. Doig painted from a newspaper photograph of Learner skiers on a Japanese mountain.

 

Above a sculpture by Amish Kapor who also belong to my favorites - and I think he deserves more attention as well.

 

I couldn`t resist to display this wonderful image by Roy Lichtenstein.


 

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment